PART 1 of 6 – In the first of a series of 6 messages on “Questions about the assembly”, Tom Bentley (1924-2011) answers the question, “What is the church”? He starts by introducing “the church which is His body”, and makes the all-important point that this church did not exist prior to the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2). Looking at the “church which is His body” dispensationally, symbolically, mystically and eternally, Mr Bentley distinguishes it from the local assembly, which gathers to the name of the Lord in a particular place. Readings: Matt 16:13-20, Eph 1:19-23, 2:19-22, 1 Cor 3:9-10, 16 (Message preached in Whitehouse Gospel Hall, Northern Ireland, in Aug 1989)
Messages in this series:
- What is the church?
- Is the local assembly a sect?
- Is the local assembly autonomous?
- Is the local assembly government democratic?
- Is occasional fellowship scriptural?
- Is the ministry of women public?